Roulette how we know it today, has been played for over 200 years. It originated in Paris hence the name as Roulette means little wheel in French. Along with blackjack, Live Roulette is undoubtedly one of the most popular table games out there. If you’re new to online roulette, fret no more as we have got this covered for you with this handy quide.
Get started in Playing the Live Roulette
If you’ve never laid your eyes on a roulette table before, this might appear daunting at first. Once we have explained it to you, you will find out that Live Roulette is an easy game to play. You choose how much risk you want to take, you can bet on big odds or go for 1:1 bets.
At the Unibet Live Casino you can find all kind of different roulette games. The main rules for all the games are the same. You kick off the game by placing your bet or bets. You have lots of options on what kind of bet you want to place. You can go for a single number (straight up), red or black, odd or even, high or low, a section, a column or dozen and 0 and 00 depending on which type of online roulette game you opt for. You can also choose to place multiple bets in one round. This might sound like a lot of information, but this will all be explained in the guide.
Table, Wheel and Pay-outs in Live Roulette
Every online roulette game starts when the croupier spins the wheel in one direction whilst rolling a small ball along the inner edge of the wheel in the opposite direction. The game presenter closes the bets and the ball will eventually fall into one of the many slots on the wheel. The number it falls in will be declared the winning of the game.
How to Bet
There are three types of bets on the roulette. The inside bet which are bets on the inside of the field (the numbers). The outside bets, which are the bets you find on the left side of the numbers. The third option is the racetrack, this is ideal if you want to bet on sections.
The inside bets are placed on the inner field of the table, on the numbers 0 up to 36. There are five types of inside bets: Straight up, Split, Street, Corner and Line.
- Straight up: a bet on a single number, put your chip down on the number you want to play and hope for the best! This is a risky bet, but the pay-out is great, you get 35 to 1 if you hit a straight up bet. To increase your chances, you can always play multiple straight up bets in one round.
- Split: a bet on two adjacent numbers, horizontally or vertically, by placing a chip on the line between the two adjacent boxes. If you for example want to put a bet down on number 1 and 2, you place the chip on the line between the numbers. A split bet will pay out 17 to 1 if you hit one of the two numbers.
- Street: a bet on a row of three numbers on a single horizontal line by placing a chip on the outer line of the number on the far left of the three numbers. The street bet will give you a 11 to 1 pay-out.
- Corner: a bet on four numbers that form a square, by placing a chip on the cross between the four numbers. The corner bet has a 8 to 1 pay-out.
- Line: a bet on 6 adjacent numbers at the same time. If you want to bet on 1-6 for example, you place a chip on the T-junction on the far left between the 1 and the 4. The line bet pays-out 5 to 1.
Outside bets are placed on the boxes around the inner field with the numbers 1 to 36. Basically there are five options to place an outside bet: Column, Dozen, High or Low, Red or Black and Odd or Even.
- Column: a bet on one of the three vertical rows (left, middle, right) by placing a chip in the box at the bottom of the row, you then bet 12 numbers at the same time. If you win a column bet you get a 2 to 1 pay-out.
- Dozen: a bet on 12 numbers in three consecutive rows, by placing a chip in one of the following areas: 1ste 12, 2nd 12, 3rd 12. Betting on a dozen pays out 2 to 1.
- High or Low: a bet on the high numbers (19-36) or the low numbers (1-18). This is simple, if you win you double your money, so the pay-out is 1 to 1.
- Red or Black: a bet on a colour (red or black) instead of on a number. This is also a 1 to 1 pay-out bet.
- Odd or Even: a bet on odd or even numbers. Here the pay-out is again 1 to 1.
The racetrack is popular with more advanced players. The racetrack is set up just like the wheel, the order of the numbers is the same as on the wheel, which makes it easy to bet on a section. A section in roulette is a serie of numbers right next to each other. They are ideal if you think the ball is going to fall between certain numbers. There are four sections you can play on, the Tiers du cylindre, Voisins du zero, the Zero Spiel section and the Orphelins section. Be careful, if you play a section, it is not a standard pay-out on each number.
Tiers du cylindre section: The Tiers du cylindre section goes from 27 to 33 on the wheel. If you play this section, you play with six chips divided over twelve numbers. You play six split bets, the chips are placed at 5-8, 10-11, 13-16, 23-24, 27-30 and 33-36*.
Voisins du Zero: This section is the biggest one, it covers a total of 17 numbers with seven chips. The section starts at the 22 and goes all the way to the 25 on the roulette wheel. The chips are divided the following: 0-2-3, 4-7, 12-15, 18-21, 25-26-28-29 and 32-35*.
The Zero Spiel section: The numbers surrounding the 0 are part of the Zero spiel section. The entire section is also part of the Voisins du zero section, so if a number of the zero spiel section is spun, it means the voisins du zero section will also win. This section consists of seven numbers going from 12 till 15. The section is played with four chips: 0-3, 12-15, 28, 32-35*.
Orphelin section: This section is divided over two places on the wheel, going from 17 to 6 and from 1 to 9. There is a total of eight numbers in the section covered by five chips. The chips are placed like this: 3, 6-9, 14-17, 17-20 and 31-34*.
*note: the – does not indicate from one number till a different, but it just shows the numbers that are actually played.
Different types of Online Roulette
One of the key decisions you need to make when playing online roulette is to decide on whether you want to try your hand at European or American Roulette. One major difference between the two is that the American roulette wheel has 2 zeroes on the cylinder which gives you a bigger advantage in online casino.
One of the key differences between American and European Roulette is that the American roulette wheel has 2 zeroes on the cylinder which gives you a bigger advantage in online casino.
In total there are 38 pockets on the American roulette wheel, ranging from 0 to 36 plus the additional 00 number – 18 of these pockets are red while 18 are black and the two remaining slots with the numbers 0 and 00 are green.
The European roulette wheel has on the other hand, a single 0 which makes it a great choice for those who want to offset the effect of variance. The zero slot is green here while the other 36 numbers are split in half, with 18 being black and the rest red.
Unibet has a wide range of online roulette games but if you fancy the full authentic live casino experience then Live Roulette is the right game for you.